History of the Lake O’Hara Trails Club
The Lake O’Hara Trails Club was established in 1949 in Banff and Yoho National Parks to bring about cooperation between the National Parks of Canada and those individuals who, moved by a deep love for the beauty of the region, volunteered their time to create a system of trails in the Lake O’Hara area. The Club was dedicated to the making, improving and maintenance of these trails. It was registered as a Society in Alberta in 1980.
Through the work of these early volunteers, led by George K.K. Link and A. Carson Simpson, an extensive network of excellent trails was created for the use of hikers, climbers, photographers and nature lovers. Parks Canada having since assumed responsibility for the active maintenance of the trails, the Club has undertaken to support trail improvements and maintenance, to provide information to visitors, to prepare trail maps and to publish historical material about the area. The over-arching goal of the Lake O’Hara Trails Club is to inspire and facilitate both the stewardship of the trail system at Lake O’Hara and the appreciation of the cultural and natural history of the Lake O’Hara Area.